Wednesday 6 February 2013

You must have your hands full!

Being a mom of twins I have heard since I was pregnant either, "wow, you must have your hands full" or "your going to have your hands full"
Really, gee thanks, that was really uplifting. I wonder if these people who say this are trying to be helpful... Because they're not. When I was pregnant with my daughter I got this one a lot. "wow, your pregnant again? I would have stopped at twins...Trying for a girl this time?" ........ I don't "try" for anything. When I found out we were pregnant for the second time, we were so happy but after early problems and almost losing my daughter, we didn't care if it was a boy or girl. We just hoped we would have a baby. As for stopping at twins. well good for you. I always saw my self as a two kid kind of mom. But after having my boys I realised what I wanted was to be pregnant twice. Experience it twice. So I did. And now, I'm done.
Does being a mom of twins automatically make it OK to ask us inappropriate questions about our children or pregnancy or birth? I mean really; Walking through the mall I am constantly stopped by people. To ask me "are they twins?" "was it natural" "did you have them naturally" "are they identical? they look identical." "did you have a c section?" the most awkward time i was asked the latter was at the beach this past summer. I was playing in the sand with my kids and I noticed this woman wouldn't stop staring. I'm pretty used to it, being a twin mom is like being a celebrity. Everyone stares everyone wants to talk to you. So i kind of just blew it off as she just thought my kids were cute or something. All of a sudden she shouts to me "are those all yours??!" I look both ways just to make sure shes talking to me... "ummm..Yes.." then she shouts again "did you have  a c section? because I cant see a scar on your stomach." So awkward. I'm pretty sure if I didn't have twins I wouldn't have to worry about random strangers asking how my children were born. That kind of crazy person is only drawn towards parents of multiples.
Now I know most people mean well. But really, us multiple moms just want to buy our groceries in peace. We want to play with our kids or take them to school or daycare or just walk them anywhere with out someone having to stop and say "boy you sure have your hands full" Trust me, WE KNOW. My hands are full, and my heart is full. I love my kids and although my days are sometimes crazy, and it wasn't so much fun going through terrible twos times 2, I wouldn't have it any other way. So please people, Next time you see a mom with her twins and maybe one or two more in toe, don't bother telling them something they already know. Just smile and nod.
Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment